Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Week 13 - 13 December 2010


Ola todo mundo!

This week was tough for us.  Sooo many lessons fell through, and we didn’t meet our goal for the week.  So many people were traveling and out of town.  So it was a bummer. But that means that this week we have a lot of work to do and a lot of people to see.  And every single day after lunch there is no one on the streets and no one to teach.  The schedule of the people here is wake up really early around 5:30 or 6, then after lunch at noon, everyone sleeps until about 3 or 4.  It’s pretty odd, but I think we should be allowed to have the same schedule and get a nap in everyday... haha jk.

On Wednesday night, we had to take the boat to a nearby town called Obidos, which is where the other companionship is serving in our district.  We dropped off another Elder there and spent the night.  Then we took a bus back to Oriximiná at about 5:30 in the morning.  It was about a 4 hour or so bus ride back.  Oh gosh, so I’m already starting to forget words in English...but the bad thing is that it feels like I’m not learning enough Portuguese to even it out  haha.  A girl in our ward here asked me what “noivo” was in English.  I know what it is in Portuguese but I couldn’t remember in English - haha.  It’s fiancé.  I was thinking so hard, and I knew it was what you call someone when you’re engaged, but I couldn’t think of the word haha.  That has happened a bunch lately. The strange thing out here is that I’m always hungry!  At home you guys always got on me for not eating enough, but out here Elder Costa gets on me for eating too much of our food haha.  I’m not sure if I’m gaining any weight, but I’m pretty sure I’m losing my six pack I used to have haha.  The members here provide us lunch, which is like our dinner and the bigger meal of the day, and they always feed us the same food: rice, noodles, beans, and chicken.  I’m starting to not be able to taste rice and beans because I’m so used to it. Haha

So some days here are really hard for me and others seem to be easier.  Some days I feel like I can understand and say what I want, then I have others where I just can’t manage anything..ha – it’s tough.  But I sure am grateful that at least I’m having some good days.  I’ve been trying to change my accent so I can sound more like a Brazilian because the people here say I have a horrible accent. Haha  It just seems my mouth doesn’t move the way the Brazilians move it.  But I’ve been working on not rushing and talking a little slower and thinking of what I’m going to say before I say it.  It seems that I’m getting used to hearing Portuguese though because it’s strange whenever I hear anything in English.  But the thing is I still can’t understand what’s being said. Haha.

We have two young men in our ward that left this morning for the CTM in São Paulo. The testimonies of the people here seem to be really strong, and they have a really good testimony meeting on Fast Sundays.  Last Saturday and Sunday, we had a stake conference transmitted from Salt Lake for the stakes up here in Northern Brazil.  It was pretty cool.  The speakers were Elder Ellis (I think), Sister Dalton, Elder Neil L. Anderson, and President Uchtdorf.  Elder Ellis and Neil L. Anderson spoke in Portuguese, and Sister Dalton and Pres. Uchtdorf had to be translated.  Then we got to watch the Christmas Devotional that night too.  The music was beautiful, and yeah, I’ll admit, it made me miss home a little bit haha.
So I received 3 letters through missionties, but the one I got today was only a little part of the whole thing...I don’t know why.  But I started translating all of the letters you guys send to me. Haha  It’s pretty fun, and it helps me find knew ways to say things in Portuguese.  Also I’ve been noticing that a lot of the people here point with their lips haha  It’s odd, and it’ll take some getting used to, especially when they point AT me with their lips haha - a little strange.

So I thought of a little slogan that I write and read whenever I feel the language is a little too much for me.  It’s “Nunca Desista, Conseguirei,” which is “Never Give Up, I Will Achieve.”  I actually think it makes more sense in Portuguese haha, and it’s a good picker upper when I feel down.

Well, that’s about it for this week. Love you all!

Com Amor
-Elder Andrus

I drew this on the back of a notepad I have with a bunch of scriptures and references and stuff :)

My proselyting bag and tag

Us at 5:30 in the morning waiting for a bus in Obidos. We were so excited to be awake that early!



From the district meeting in the middle of nowhere





Mais fotos da reuniãno de distrito no maio do nada!





The apartment

A nearby soccer field

Some houses here

Rio Trombetas

Ituzinho I mentioned last time. YUM. :) Tão gostoso!

Map of the area

Yeah, it rains a lot haha. When it rains, it pours!

No comments:

Post a Comment