Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week 1 - 21 September 2010

Hey Family!

First off we barely have any time to email here at the MTC.  They give you 30 minutes from the time you sign on and that’s it!  Glad you got the picture.  I’m really looking forward to getting letters and pictures.  There aren’t very many missionaries here in the CTM because there are over 100 still in Provo.  I’m really grateful that I got my visa as fast as I did! 

So here in Sao Paulo we have guards guarding the CTM 24/7. Yeah it’s crazy haha. Everyone here is really nice and friendly and willing to help us greenies. My teachers are great. They both are really cool and teach us lots.  The language is really tough, but I think I’m catching on pretty well for the first week. I already can’t wait to get out in the mission field though. The Brazilians here are CRAZY. Everyone has such outgoing personalities and are really fun to talk to.  I have a really soft spoken personality compared to everyone else here so I really need to work on being more out going like all these Brazilians. We always try to talk to the natives to help us with the language.  So I went to the doctors here for my throat, and they gave me some Halls to take.  It’s funny because I guess here in Brasil they eat Halls like candy, not just for medical needs haha.

The food here is...interesting.  Not bad but nothing compared to American food.  I hear this is the best food we’ll get here in Brasil though so I guess I won’t complain!  I already sent a couple letters so you’ll probably be getting those within a week or two, I’m guessing.  My companion is Elder Cook, and he’s from California. We also have a girl in our companionship, which is funny.  There isn’t another girl in our district so she has to tag along with us.  Her name is Sister LaBaron, and she’s from Spokane.  My companion and I are doing okay together.  We are rooming with 4 other elders, Elder Evans from Portland, Elder Christian from Sacramento and 2 Brazilians.  Rio should tell Sterling that I think I met one of his good friends here.  I don’t know his name but he told me Sterling trained him when they were on their missions.  He was super excited to know I knew him haha so they must have been really good buds.  A couple Elders told us that a good way to send and receive letters here is through MissionTies.com.  I guess there is a cookie shop called Mr. Cheney´s here who can scan and email my letters to you and print off typed letters to me.  I’m not quite sure but if you would like to look into that you can.

The drivers here in Brasil are insane. There are people standing on the islands in the freeway selling things and the motorcycles just weave in and out of lanes.  Today we went to the Sao Paulo Temple for the first time, and it was really pretty!  It was really small but definitely gorgeous.  Tell Dad congrats! And I hope he finds a job he really enjoys.  My time is running short so I need to wrap this all up.  Letters are really slow, but we can write more than email.  I love all you guys and cantt wait to hear more from you all and what’s going on back home.     

Love,
Elder Andrus

No comments:

Post a Comment